Women's Preventive Services Guidelines Updated for 2023
March 17, 2022
The Department of Health and Human Services recently issued an update to the Women’s Preventive Services guidelines to expand the list of women’s preventive services that most health plans are required to cover under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Specifically, this requirement applies to all non-grandfathered group and individual health plans both on and off the Exchange.
The updated guidelines revise the following five services:
- Breastfeeding Services and Supplies. Comprehensive lactation support services during the antenatal, perinatal and postpartum periods, as well as breastfeeding equipment and supplies.
- Contraception. Access for adolescent and adult women to the full range of contraceptives and contraceptive care that are FDA-approved, -granted or -cleared.
- Screening for HIV Infection. HIV screening tests for women aged 15 and older at least once during their lifetime, as well as earlier or additional screening based on risk.
- Counseling for Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs). Behavioral counseling for sexually active adolescent and adult women at an increased risk for STIs.
- Well-Woman Preventive Visits. At least one preventive care visit per year beginning in adolescence.
Additionally, one new service has been added to the updated guidelines:
- Preventing Obesity in Midlife Women. The guideline recommends counseling for midlife women aged 40 to 60 years with normal or overweight body mass index (BMI) to maintain weight or limit weight gain to prevent obesity.
Updated preventive services guidelines generally take effect for plan years beginning on or after one year from the date the updated guideline is issued. In this case, the updates take effect for plan years beginning in 2023.
The above information does not constitute advice. Always contact your employee benefits broker or trusted advisor for insurance-related questions.
Moving at the Speed of M&A: Insurance Due Diligence
September 28, 2023
Mapping the Journey to a Successful Captive
September 27, 2023
Hylant Expands Global Captive Solutions Team with Four New Hires
September 26, 2023