By continuing to access our website, you agree to our privacy policy and use of cookies.

Skip to Main Content

Press "Enter" to search

Personal Insurance

Liabilities of Renting Your Home

Standard homeowners insurance policies typically don’t cover losses related to renting your property. Consider rental property insurance.

May 9, 2024

You may be considering renting out your home for extra income while you’re away for an extended period. Though this seems like an ideal solution for homeowners with extra room to spare, it can also pose significant liabilities. If you are thinking about renting out your home, consider this guidance to minimize your risks.

  • Ask for references from potential renters—especially those looking to stay for an extended period.
  • Establish a rental agreement that defines the rental terms, including restrictions, liabilities and occupancy guidelines.
  • Request a security deposit that will only be refunded if there is no damage to your home.
  • Consider hiring a property manager to look out for your home if you rent your property for an extended period.
  • Set aside a secure and protected place in your home to store personal items like clothing and valuables.
  • Take pictures of all areas of your home before the rental takes place as documented evidence in case damage occurs while you are away.
  • Have your mail forwarded or held until you return to keep guests from having to handle any letters or packages that get delivered during their stay.
  • Provide your contact information to both the renters and your neighbors in case of an emergency.

Secure Adequate Rental Property Insurance Coverage

In addition to taking these precautions, advise your insurance agent that you plan to rent out your home. Ask about how this may affect your current coverage.

Remember that standard homeowners insurance policies typically don’t cover losses related to renting out your property. You may need to secure additional, specialized coverage before renting out your home—such as rental-property insurance (also known as landlord insurance).

For more personal risk management guidance and insurance solutions, contact us today.

Related Reading: Vacationing? Consider Travel Insurance.

The above information does not constitute advice. Always contact your insurance broker or trusted advisor for insurance-related questions.

Related Insights